Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Children of the Corn Response

Children of the Corn was a very interesting movie because of how weird it was actually. One of the main points of the movie relies around corn and a small town named Gatlin in Nebraska. The children of the town kill off all of the parents and begin to worship some supernatural being. Then enters two outsiders. The young man and woman who are a cross country trip to Seattle get caught in the middle of this mess and actually end up being the heroes in the end.
The first thing I will discuss is the representation of the Great Plains in this movie. I feel that they are trying to represent that the corn is evil because it wiped out the entire natural prairie that use to exist. The entire movie actually revolves around corn and I don’t think you could 1 minute without seeing corn. The children worship the supernatural being that lives in the corn and does whatever the being would want. The spirit demands that once you turn 19 I believe that you are supposed to be given to the spirit? The children do whatever the spirit demands of them and are sent to go kill the outsiders because frankly they don’t belong in Gatlin.
Another major theme in this movie is religion. I feel this part of the movie has the strongest argument. The children kill off all of their parents and listen to Isaac who supposedly preaches the word of the father or supernatural being. I think that the reason religion is so important is because all of the other children were basically brainwashed. At the end when Burt comes in at the end and releases his girlfriend all of the children just stand there and listen while their new leader Malachi tells them all to kill Burt. I think the outsiders come in an show the children that what they are worshiping is a joke. He goes off on a long spiel about how what they are worshiping is basically bullshit and they all listen and I think that is one of the turning points of the movie. The children realize that what they have been worshiping is stupid and the spirit was supposedly killed when the field was set on fire (by the way, great special effects).
I have mixed feelings who the bad guy is in the movie so I will offer my two sides that I feel may represent the evil person. I feel that Isaac is the bad guy in this movie. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that he is the evil person because he basically brainwashed all of the children to kill their parents and to follow his so called religion from the supernatural being. I guess you could actually make a case that the supernatural being is the evil thing in this movie because all of the children are acting like this because of their religion they are following and believe in. The second choice for the evil in this movie could be representative of the corn. The corn represents how much the Great Plains has changed over time. At one time it use to be pure prairie, but now the entire plains is industrialized. I think the evil spirit could be a sign that the god is not happy because the face of the Plains has changed. What use to be native prairie is now covered with corn.
To finish off my analysis, I will provide information as to who I believe the heroes of this movie are. I feel that the two outsiders, Burt and Vicky are the heroes. They come into the town of Gatlin and free the children of this false religion they are following. It takes an outsider to realize really how stupid this religion is because all of the other children have taken this religion tooth and nail.
By:Danny Harpenau

No comments:

Post a Comment